Saturday, January 9, 2010

Why does my little brother bite his finger/toe nails?

He's 4 and he's finger and toe nails are always trimmed, he trims them with his teeth. Like he's always biting them! Why is that?Why does my little brother bite his finger/toe nails?
does he bite them to the point of bleeding?


It could just be a habit. He could bite them out of anxiety or boredom.


I actually started biting mine as an adult b/c of nail weakness that occurred malnutrition due to undiagnosed celiac disease. My nails were weak so they tore easily, so I would groom them by picking and biting on them. Once I went gluten free my nails got stronger, my nutrition got better, and I stopped. When I feel the urge to bite them I check my diet for any gluten sneaking in, then take a calcium and a multivitamin supplement.


The strangest things can be a symptom of a medical issue. Strange, isn't it?Why does my little brother bite his finger/toe nails?
It can be a few things, i used to bite my nails when i was bored.


I knwo someone who bites them when they are hungry and someone else who bites them when they are nervous or anixous it is something he will grow out of.

No comments:

Post a Comment