Saturday, January 9, 2010

My 4 Year Old's Finger Was Crushed- Nail Came off 7 Days Later...?

So the ER doc calls tonight and tells me there is a possibility that it will never grow back. The finger nail area was kindof purple for 3 days. Then the nail turned white and fell off real fast! Has anyone seen anything like this? I am really worried about it never growing back. Thanks.My 4 Year Old's Finger Was Crushed- Nail Came off 7 Days Later...?
Yes, when I was about 8 or 9, I crushed my finger (right middle) between 2 barbells (I was swinging them behind my back and my finger got caught in the middle. My fingernail turned almost every color of the rainbow and then it fell off. It grew back as normal. Don't worry, it should grow back. For now while it's growing, put a bandaid over her finger because it can be a little tender while there is no fingernail over the skin.My 4 Year Old's Finger Was Crushed- Nail Came off 7 Days Later...?
It is possible to have the nail not grow back if the nail bed cells were damaged to the point where they can no longer produce a finger nail, this doesn't happen very often, but is possible.
I'm sure it will be ok, doctors tend to give the worse case scenario
When my son was 2 he dropped the lid to his turtle sand box on his toe, it turned black right away, he was in so much pain that he cried in his sleep even after I gave him baby advil. A few days later he was in the tub screaming cause his toenail came off. It did take awhile but his toenail grew back.
It is possible to have the nail not grow back if the nail bed cells were damaged to the point where they can no longer produce a finger nail, this doesn't happen very often, but is possible. good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment